- Honey Bee: Parasites, Pest, Predators, and Diseases, Penn. State University
- Beekeeping Basics, MAAREC & Penn State. Nice guide, lots of photos, covers it all in a spiral bound notebook form (not available on Amazon.com)
- The Beekeepers Handbook, Diana Sammataro
- The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden, Kim Flottum
- First Lessons for Beekeepers, Keith Delaplane, Dadant & Co.
- Bees Besieged, by Bill Mares, A.I. Root & Co.
- Natural Beekeeping, by Ross Conrad
- Fruitless Fall, by Rowan Jocobsen, Bloomsbury
- The Forgotten Pollinators, Buchmann & Nahban, Shearwater Books
- A Book of Bees, Sue Hubbell, Random House
- Honeybee Democracy, Thomas D. Seeley, Princeton Books
Also recommended is a subscription to either Bee Culture, geared to beginners or American Bee Journal, geared to commercial beekeeping. (VBA membership gives you a discount for each of these magazines.)