First of all, we hope that you are safe during this significant flooding event.
We are hearing reports of flooded and washed away apiaries. Beekeepers experiencing these losses may qualify for support through the USDA FSA ELAP program.
Farmers should assess damages Field by Field and Crop by Crop and reach out to their local USDA Service Centers.
- Producers with private crop insurance – call your crop insurance agent to report your losses.
- Producers with FSA NAP coverage, should reach out to their local FSA Office to report your losses.
- Limited Resource, Beginning Farmer, SDA Farmer, Veteran Farmer may have been automatically enrolled in FSA NAP coverage, please reach out to your local FSA Office.
- Emergency Livestock Assistance Program (ELAP) – This program may assist with both feed and livestock losses (including bees), producers can reach out to their local FSA Office.
- Farms without crop insurance can still report losses at their local FSA Office.
Contact and locations for county USDA Service Centers.
Please stay safe while assessing your apiaries. Many roads are significantly muddy if not damaged and impassable.
Pollinator Health Specialist/ State Apiculturist
Vermont Agency of Agriculture, Food & Markets
116 State Street | Montpelier, Vermont | 05620