Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Web host & donuts

Web host & donuts 6 months 1 week ago #2585

• David Prior
  • David Prior's Avatar Topic Author
This site has some great content, it's just wicked painful to wait for it to download. I've been getting complaints from users that would like to participate but the sluggish speed here impedes us.
I wouldn't take this organization to seriously if I only had this web access as a connection. We take in just about 7 thousand dollars a year in membership dues. I don't believe we're spending anything on the hosting of this site, but maybe it's time we do.
I probably won't be able to speak up at the winter meeting but I hope there are others that will.
The other item is I hope we can order enough Essex Bakery donuts ahead of the meeting. This past summer we had 175+ in attendance to our meeting and I believe we exceed that at the winter meetings.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Web host & donuts 5 months 4 weeks ago #2588

• Ronald H. Bartemy Jr.
David
I agree I know they have been trying to speed the site up.
Yes I hope we have donuts to go around

Web host & donuts 5 months 2 weeks ago #2593

I agree the web site is often painfully slow. I like the fact that there are a lot of drop down links to all sorts of related information but many of these I have never used. I am sure that the decision to include all of those links was well intended and done in an effort to create a rich information source foe beekeepers but I wonder if the web site may be overly complex for its intended purpose. Maybe some of the content could be eliminated or simplified and that might speed up the site overall. Simplifying the web site would also cut down on the maintenance time that is necessary to keep a site like this running smoothly.
Though there has apparently been some money paid to maintain parts of the web site everyone realizes that VBA is a volunteer organization. Without more volunteer involvement either more money would need to be put into actually paying people to do the maintenance or the site needs to be simplified to make the job easier.
While there are likely technical aspects to getting a web site to run faster, falling behind in basic content maintenance makes it look like the site is being neglected and that doesn't send a very positive message to new beekeepers. For instance, if you go to the What's New on the Site link
on the home page, articles there have a date that is three years old. Are we to understand that there has been that little amount of new content added to the site? I realize it takes time to write articles but if no one is submitting articles for publication maybe that What's New section could be presented in a different way.
Generally I think the site looks pretty good and functions as intended and I think there has been a lot of good work put into it. But a site as complex as this needs regular maintenance and from what I have seen that falls somewhat short. Simplify it and it will work better. Paying someone knowledgeable about such things might work even better.

Web host & donuts 5 months 2 weeks ago #2595

• Ronald H. Bartemy Jr.
Steven Jackson I agree with you .
I was very happy to hear the board recognize the fact the VBA Webb site needs a lot of work.
For the most part people don't use the site for the fact it takes forever to load , also the home
Page and many other pars of the site are way out of date.
I have tried many times to up load photos or stories takes way to long and very complicated
I know a few people in the past that have offered to help but received no reply maybe now
The board will reach out and let them help.
We may still need to spend some money on the site as we need a good host that will do the
maintenance and work out the bugs, with any group commutations is or should be a very
High priority . We can only grow VBA by having the best of the best in commutations .
So we need a great Webb site , Facebook and our E Blast
The issue with this web site has gone on for way to long time to take action .
Many other state associations have great Webb sites with a lot of great content and the sites
Are lighting fast it's time we become lighting fast.
Thanks
Ron

Web host & donuts 5 months 1 week ago #2597

This is a relatively small site and the content or layout really doesn't (or shouldn't) affect the speed of the site in this case. Since the site runs on a content management system that relies on a database to hold the site's information it is likely an issue with the database. (You can tell the site hosting service itself doesn't have a speed issue by looking under "Members Only" then "Publications" and choosing one of the PDF files listed. They open very quickly.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VBA Membership

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Web host & donuts 5 months 1 week ago #2598

• David Prior
  • David Prior's Avatar Topic Author
So Greg... how do we get the database reconfigured or changed?
Do we need some of this to be stored on a file system?
Is our database system too small?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

swarm3

beekeep2

mentor2

rss2