Winter Hive Wraps ?

Peter Hadeka created the topic: Winter Hive Wraps ?

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has been able to track down a source for the black polypropolene winter hive wraps that were discussed at the Winter Meeting?
I have been in contact with a beekeeping club in Ontario that purchases these wraps for resale amd I am waiting to see how much the shipping cost is and if there is an importation problem. The contact person is to get back to me with this information. One of the US beekeeping sources has a similiar wrap but it is plastic coated cardboard and not as durable as the polypropolene. I also understand that the shipping cost is very high due to the size of the package. Fall is on the horizon !!!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Greg Smela replied the topic: Winter Hive Wraps ?

Peter -
Serious question: What's wrong with just using roofing paper?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Peter Hadeka replied the topic: Winter Hive Wraps ?

Hi Greg, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the roofing paper method. At the Winter meeting,( still awaiting minutes, ) there was a beekeper from Ontario as well as Chaz promoting the use of these very durable polypropolene wraps. I was expecting that Better Bee might have them available but it is not happening.
For those not at the Winter meeting these wraps allowed burlap bags to be placed on the top part of the hive with a few inches of dry wood chips. This helped with the moisture and of course the black color helped with temperature, when the sun was shining.
I guess I am a little like a crow, if there is something new and shiny I have to have it !!!! Ha ha ha ....Peter.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Peter Hadeka replied the topic: Winter Hive Wraps ?

Greg, that is the site that I am awaiting price and shipping costs. If and when I get the numbers I will post them for others.

Great! Interesting to see them in use.

swarm3

beekeep2

mentor2

rss2