State Bill H .205Chip Troiano's Neonic BIll

State Bill H .205Chip Troiano's Neonic BIll was created by Scott Wilson

A place to discuss the merits and concerns about the bill. Please include any remedies or improvements as well.

Regulation of Neonicotinoid Pesticides

Here is the link to the new bill introduced on 02/12/19. It affects Vermont Beekeepers. Please read it and use the VBA forums to post your thoughts.

The VBA wants to hear from you and your responses can help us draft a position paper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeff battaglini, Karen Cornish
1 week 18 hours ago #2839

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by Greg Smela on topic State Bill H .205Chip Troiano's Neonic BIll

I will only comment on the portion of the bill requiring certification of beekeepers. (I don't have any real problem with other parts of the bill.)

The VBA already has a certification program in place. The state has neither the money (guess where they'll try to get it?) or the wherewithall to put together a certification program in a timely manner. I believe this will discourage people from beekeeping but will happily expand the beaucracy which is the goal of any good government program. (I'm only being partially facetious.)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeff battaglini, Timothy Downs
1 week 17 hours ago #2841

Replied by Mike Palmer on topic State Bill H .205Chip Troiano's Neonic BIll

I too question the "certification" requirement. What does that mean? No one can take up beekeeping until they are certified? I would like to know more about this.
1 week 16 hours ago #2842

And then, the provision that requires used equipment entering the state be accompanied by an inspection certificate. Surely used equipment could be infected by AFB and not have visible scale.
1 week 16 hours ago #2843

Replied by Ronald H. Bartemy Jr. on topic State Bill H .205Chip Troiano's Neonic BIll

To start with this bill shows a total disrespect to VBA as I find not one person on the committee
That is a member of VBA .

We already have a law in place governing the movement and sale of bees .
Law reguiring Apiary's be registered plus pay a fee.

This bill is way to fare over reaching to pervent a person from having bees until they become
Certified .

Notice the fees to register neonictcides $200.00 that's fine but only $5.00 for education
How will that pay to certifie new Beekeepers .

We need a strong turn out for any public hearing on this Bill H 205
Thanks
Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeff battaglini
1 week 16 hours ago #2844

I am a member of the Pollinator Protection Committee, and was nominated by Governor Shumlin.
1 week 16 hours ago #2845

swarm3

beekeep2

mentor2

rss2