Beekeeping in Vermont...
VBA 2013 Summer Meeting Update - June 22nd, 2013
Guest Speaker: Gary Reuter - University of Minnesota Department of Entomology
Gary will be speaking on the Varroa Life Cycle, Queen Rearing, selection, breeding & hygienic behavior
Location: BFA Fairfax High School, 75 Hunt Street, Fairfax, Vermont 05454
Time: 8:45am (registration & light refreshments) - 3:30pm
A long time hobby beekeeper and trained in technology education, Gary began working with Marla Spivak when she moved to Minnesota in 1993. Without his hard work, the program would not be what it is today. He maintains the research colonies, helps train and work with students in the field, designs and builds specialty equipment and speaks to beekeeping, student and civic groups.
He plans the Extension short courses and together with Marla teaches beginning as well as experienced beekeepers. His humorous style of teaching helps the classes stay interested and enthusiastic about a sometimes challenging subject. He is a past president of both Minnesota Hobby Beekeepers Association and Wisconsin Honey Producers Association and director of the American Beekeeping Federation, and remains active in these groups. He still finds time to mange his own colonies, while learning to blacksmith, maintaining an orchard, and helping his wife raise sheep.
The Vermont Beekeepers Association Annual Summer Meeting will feature a potluck lunch for those individuals wanting to participate. To help us organize the food choices and make sure there is enough diversity in the food selection we have broken down the alphabet by the first letter of your last name.
Please see the list below to determine what food category you fall within. If you have a secret family recipe you are eager to share with everyone, by all means please bring it along. The food will be setup in the school's home economics room, which will allow us access to the refrigerators for holding cold items and the ovens and outlets for slow cookers or warm items.
First Letter of Your Last Name:
A-I Salads (vegetable/pasta)
J-R Main Dish
Special considerations for everyone:
1. Due to the increase in food allergies we ask that you bring along a food identification tag stating what the dish is. This may help individuals with specific allergies to identify what your dish might contain.
2. If the dish you are making requires a serving implement, we ask that you provide that as well. The school has a few serving spoons, but not enough to handle the quantity of food we hope to have.
3. We ask that you label your dishes and serving implements to help avoid any confusion at the end of the day when people are collecting their items.
4. Historically we have received too many bread items, please keep this in mind when thinking about the favorite dish you are planning to bring.
5. Although water from drinking fountains will be available please bring your own drinks as none will be available onsite.
In preparation for the VBA Summer Meeting being held on June 22nd at the Fairfax High School in Fairfax, VT, we are asking for your help.
Each year we hold a silent auction to help support the VBA. We are looking for donations to be included in this year's silent auction.