VBA Members: As we've been telling you, H.205 is an important piece of legislation that could change beekeeping in Vermont. We ask you to read the following and take action.
- Ask your legislators to support the changes to the bill (H.205) recommended by the VBA as outlined here. (Login required to access some areas of the VBA website.) If you don't know how to contact your legislators you can easily locate them with this tool:
Find your State Legislator
- Please contact ALL your legislators, especially those on the Senate Ag committee and express gratitude for their time;
Senate Ag Committee Contact Information:
- Sen. Robert Starr, Chair
- Sen. Christopher A. Pearson, Vice Chair
- Sen. Ruth Hardy, Clerk
- Sen. Brian Collamore
- Sen. Anthony Pollina
- Encourage them to support cooperation between the Agency of Agriculture and VBA in developing educational programs and;
- Encourage them to support the new positions (pollinator protection and enforcement specialists) as long as the full-time apiary inspector is retained.
The LAND of MILK & HONEY
Learn how several thousand beekeepers and several billion bees made history in the small state of Vermont. This book vividly describes two hundred years of beekeeping practices and innovation by Vermonters just like you. Read how they joined the world-wide search for improved ways to harvest world-class honey, maintain these vital pollinators and save them from pathogens, pesticides, pollution, loss of forage and climate change.
Hardcover, approx. 200 pages. List price $30 + $6 shipping ($36 total)
VBA's initial testimony on H.205 - Regulation of Neonicotinoid Pesticides - is presented here for your review. (PDF file.)
VBA member Chas Mraz reports the committee was receptive to working with VBA to improve the bill. The board of directors will continue to meet on this issue and will publish their suggestions when finalized.
VBA member Bill MAre's testimony is also provided for your review.